Case studies provide evidence that Chiropractic Care may improve Breastfeeding, Sleep, Immunity, Colic, GERD, Constipation, Ear Infections, Speech Disorders, Vision, Respiratory Function/Asthma, ADHD, Autism, Headaches/Migraines, Brain Function, Emotional Health, & MORE!
For more information, please visit the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association (ICPA) research page.
Please join our FREE Support Community
N8 Chiropractic and Wellness News & Education
What is the Webster Technique?
Chiropractic care in pregnancy is vital to the normal physiological function of both the mother and baby throughout pregnancy and birth. More women and birth providers are discovering the many benefits associated with chiropractic care in pregnancy and recognize this area of expertise through Webster Certification.
The Webster Technique is a specific chiropractic sacral analysis and diversified adjustment. The goal of the adjustment is to reduce the effects of sacral subluxation/ SI joint dysfunction. In doing so, neuro-biomechanical function in the pelvis is facilitated.
Sacral subluxation may contribute to difficult labor for the mother (i.e., dystocia), caused by inadequate uterine function, pelvic contraction, and baby mal-presentation. Correction of sacral subluxation may have a positive effect on all of these causes of dystocia.
History of the Webster Technique
Dr. Larry Webster, founder of ICPA, Logan practitioner and Life College instructor, developed the Webster Technique in response to his daughter, Lucinda’s birth to her daughter, Shannon. Dr. Webster was present at her long and arduous birth and although he adjusted her during the birth, he felt that chiropractic could have a bigger impact in labor with a more specific approach to the pelvis.
After this personal experience with his daughter’s birth, Dr. Webster strove to develop an adjustment “for laboring women to help with the ease of birth.” He felt that there must be a more specific way of addressing subluxations throughout pregnancy that would contribute to safer, easier births for the mother.
Shortly after, Dr. Webster was caring for a family whose mother was pregnant and also presenting breech. He applied his newly discovered approach in hopes of an easier delivery than his daughter had. He saw her once per week for several weeks and they noticed that her baby turned vertex in time for delivery.
Dr. Webster began teaching other chiropractors this adjustment. These doctors reported that when their patient’s babies were not in an optimal position, these babies were turning vertex as well. Thus the title: “Webster Breech Turning Technique” later to be called the “Webster In-Utero Constraint Technique” by Drs. Anrig and Forrester.
When his daughter, Pamela, was pregnant, he insisted that she get regular chiropractic care throughout pregnancy and mailed her a video of his technique to show her chiropractor. She also showed it to her OB, who was quite interested in the pelvic biomechanics and the chiropractic perspective. He too, encouraged her to see her chiropractor regularly for this technique knowing this was out of his obstetric scope.
Julio M. Ruiz III is an experienced licensed massage therapist (MA80860) certified in Swedish, Deep Tissue, Prenatal, Postpartum, Pre/Post Athletic Events, Oncology Massage, and he has developed his own modality, KĀR RW KAN, the combination of Deep Tissue, Trigger Point, Myofascial Release, and Thai Stretching which helps the receiver reach homeostasis (the balance between mind, body and soul).
Julio has practiced with local chiropractors and spas, but he has mainly engaged in private practice for many years prior to moving to Tampa. Julio’s mission is to support individuals in achieving life balance through personal wellness. He is a firm believer in the inseparable connection between mind, body, and soul. Julio is a proponent of massage for relieving physical as well as emotional stress, and he strongly believes in massage as a viable modality for enhancing overall health and well-being.
PT Pros Performance Studio
6902 W Linebaugh Ave
Tampa, FL 33625
Wed: 9:00am – 7:00pm
Fri: 9:00am – 7:00pm
Sat: 12:00pm – 4:00pm
Kinesio Tape Information
Kinesio Tape microscopically lifts the skin away from the muscle and fascia, which decompresses the area and reduces swelling while distributing physical stress and delaying fatigue. The tape signals the central nervous system through the skin’s nerves, which provides powerful feedback to minimize pain and cue form; making it a great addition to enhance the benefits of one of Dr. Rachel Settles’s adjustments.
Turns down the volume on pain
More specifically, it runs interference on pain. Tape on the skin can interfere with painful signals which are directed to the brain.
When the signals arriving to the brain are altered, it does not produce the sensation of pain. When kinesiology tape is properly applied, many customers call it “magic” or think that it fixed their injury instantly. In fact, it helps to change how your body interprets pain, turning down the pain “volume” that your body hears.
Decompresses an area of swelling and inflammation
When the tape is applied to the skin, it has a microscopic lifting effect underneath the skin and between the many layers. This allows the by-products created by inflammation to be removed more quickly.
Research has shown that Kinesio Tape on skin can attenuate muscle fatigue. In rehab, this is very important, not only for the parts of your body that are currently hurting, but also for the surrounding areas as they help to pick up the slack for muscles that are currently not working well.
Normalizes muscle tone
When someone is injured, fatigued, sick, or inflamed, the symphony of muscle action that normally takes place with great accuracy often falls out of tune. This can happen all over the body. For instance, research has shown that people who sprain their ankle tend to have altered activity of their hip muscle as a result. Tape helps bring dormant muscle back to life and help calm down the overactive muscles. It helps your body coordinate movement as if it weren’t hurt, hence allowing it to heal properly.
It distributes physical stress
Unlike conventional taping, which prevents movement – the tape used at N8 Chiropractic & Wellness allows for full movement of a taped area. Through elastic properties and quick recoil, the tape that we use can help distribute forces to other nearby areas through the fascia, ligaments, and even bones. Research shows that tape with a 180% elasticity allows the athlete fuller and better range of motion. Most other tapes only offer a 130-150% stretch. When wearing tape with less stretch, you will feel like you’ve been bound – we don’t believe that’s what anyone wants to feel when you’re walking much less being active.
Kinesio Tape Tips
- Trim the edges of the tape as it loses its adhesive
- Remove gently and naturally by washing with Diluted Citrus Essential Oil (or Lemon Juice) and Baking Soda
Kinesio Tape for Enhancing Your Next Event/Activity
The tape that Dr. Rachel uses on her patients was created for the heat of competition, and it is tested at a lab in the Santa Cruz mountains until it meets the most superior standards.
Kinesio Tape Research Studies
Impact of Kinesio Taping application on pregnant women suffering from pregnancy-related pelvic girdle pain. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29303216
The effect of kinesio taping on lower trunk range of motions. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17578750
Kinesio Taping Improves Perceptions of Pain and Function of Patients with Knee Osteoarthritis. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29466081
The Effect of Kinesio Taping on Handgrip and Active Range of Motion of Hand in Children with Cerebral Palsy. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29201123
What is Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Modality (IASTM)?
A: The IASTM technique incorporates an evidence-based form of instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization that enables clinicians to effectively detect and treat scar tissue and restrictions that affect normal function.
The Technique: Separates and breaks down collagen cross-links, stretches connective tissue and muscle fibers Increases skin temperature. Facilitates reflex changes in the chronic muscle holding pattern Increases the rate and amount of blood flow to and from the area. Increases cellular activity in the region, including fibroblasts and mast cells. Increases histamine response secondary to mast cell activity.
Why is scar tissue a problem?
A: Scar tissue limits range of motion, and in many instances causes pain, which prevents the patient from functioning as he or she did before the injury or overuse of the area.
How is scar tissue different from other tissue?
A: When viewed under a microscope, normal tissue can take a couple of different fashions: dense, regular elongated fibers running in the same direction, such as tendons and ligaments; or dense, irregular and loose with fibers running in multiple directions. In either instance, when tissue is damaged it will heal in a haphazard pattern–or scarring–that results in a restricted range of motion and, very often, pain.
How are the instruments used?
A: The instruments are used to enhance the clinician’s ability to detect adhesions, scar tissue or restrictions in the affected areas. Skilled clinicians use the stainless steel instruments to comb over and “catch” on fibrotic tissue, which immediately identifies the areas of restriction. Once the tissue has been identified, the instruments are used to break up the scar tissue so it can be absorbed by the body.
Is the treatment painful?
A: It is common to experience minor discomfort during the procedure and some bruising afterwards. This is a normal response and part of the healing process.
What is the frequency of treatment?
A: Patients usually receive two treatments per week over 4-5 weeks. Most patients have a positive response by the 3rd to 4th treatment.
Will treatments affect my everyday activities?
A: Most patients are not disabled and continue to perform their regular functions at home or work. IASTM has become standard protocol in universities and hospital-based outpatient facilities as well as industrial on-site treatment settings such as Indiana University and the University of Michigan. The technique is also being used at industrial settings and by NBA, NHL, NFL and Major League Baseball trainers.
What kind of results does IASTM produce?
A: Historically, it has had positive outcomes in 75–90 percent of all conditions treated. It is equally effective in restoring function to acute and chronic injuries, and in pre- and post-surgical patients.
Can anyone obtain the instruments?
A: Only clinicians who have been trained and accredited in the Technique Basic course are qualified to obtain the IASTM instruments and apply the technique to treat patients.
You can book a IASTM Soft Tissue treatment with your chiropractic adjustment or as an individual treatment:
Innate Infant Biotic is a high-potency probiotic supplement specifically designed to safely meet the needs of infants up to the age of 2 years.
The human digestive tract is populated by hundreds of different strains of bacterial microorganisms which are essential for healthy gastrointestinal and immune function. While most microorganisms are beneficial, a small percentage may not be. In a healthy digestive system, these microorganisms coexist in a balanced harmony. Probiotic supplements contain live, “friendly” bacteria that favorably shift the balance of gut microbiota towards more beneficial species.† Probiotics also promote digestion, support immune system function, facilitate nutrient and mineral absorption, and aid in the production of vitamins.† Microbial colonization of the gastrointestinal tract begins at birth and is critical for the development of an infant’s intestinal and immune system. However, this process can be disrupted by cesarean section delivery, hospitalization, formula feeding, antibiotic use, and toxin exposures. If the infant is breastfed, a maternal diet lacking in fresh fruits and vegetables can also affect microbial colonization. Innate Infant Biotic contains select probiotics to promote microbiota balance and support healthy gastrointestinal and immune system maturation in infants.†
- Supports optimal gastrointestinal function: Maintaining probiotic balance is important to promote digestion, facilitate bowel regularity, support normal intestinal barrier function, and assist the elimination of by-products from the intestinal tract. By blending together 5 Lactobacillus species that normally predominate in the small intestine with 5 Bifidobacterium species important for the colon, Innate Infant Biotic offers comprehensive benefits for the healthy function of the entire gastrointestinal tract.
- Supports healthy immune responses: Innate Infant Biotic supplies 5 essential Lactobacillus species critical to support healthy development of the infant immune system. Five Bifidobacterium species normally predominant in an infant’s gastrointestinal tract are also included to help enhance innate
immunity and support healthy immune responses.†
- Safe for an infant’s metabolism: An infant’s gastrointestinal tract is not fully mature and cannot metabolize the D(-) isomer of lactic acid produced by certain Lactobacillus species often found in
adult probiotics, such as L. acidophilus and L. reuteri. Innate Infant Biotic contains Lactobacillus species that are safe for an infant’s metabolism.
- Hypoallergenic ingredients: Probiotics used in Innate Infant Biotic are cultured on proprietary vegetable-based growth media. This product is free of the following common allergens: milk/casein, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat/gluten, and soybeans. Contains no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. Inulin, a dietary fiber derived from chicory root, is used as a base ingredient in place of maltodextrin, often used in other probiotic supplements.
Innate Infant Biotic is intended for daily use to provide a broad spectrum of beneficial Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus probiotic species for support of gastrointestinal and immune function in infants up to the age of 2 years.†
Suggested Use: 1⁄4 teaspoon (approximately 1 gram, supplying 10 billion CFUs) daily mixed with expressed breast milk, formula, or solid food at room temperature or as directed by a healthcare professional.
This product was made in a GMP and ISO 9001:2008 registered facility.
Manufactured by Klaire Labs for Innate Chiropractic & Wellness.
Click on the Links for More Information on Our Innate-Biotic and Breastfeeding Probiotic
Innate-Biotic is a high-potency probiotic supplement providing a combination of 12 different strains of beneficial bacteria important to intestinal health and well-being. Probiotic supplements contain live, “friendly” bacteria and/or yeast that promote proper digestion, support immune system function, aid in production of vitamins, and defend against potentially harmful bacteria.
Normally, the human gastrointestinal tract is populated by hundreds of different strains of bacterial microflora important for healthy gastrointestinal function. However, modern Western diets lack the beneficial bacteria that are as important to health as any required vitamin or nutrient. Stress, disease, aging, exposure to toxins, or use of antibiotics and certain medications can reduce the numbers of beneficial bacteria and set the stage for digestive disorders, impaired immune function, increased allergic sensitivity, infection, and inflammation. Innate-Biotic helps replenish and maintain the essential gastrointestinal microflora missing from the diet or disrupted by antibiotic therapy or other medications.
- A synergistic blend of 12 probiotic species: Many of the positive attributes of probiotics are species and strain dependent. Thus, taking just one or two strains may not be enough. The 12 safe, well-studied probiotic lactic acid bacteria in Innate-Biotic provide a broad-spectrum of benefits that help restore intestinal microbalance more effectively compared to single strain formulas. Six colonizing Lactobacillus strains important for the small intestine, four colonizing Bifidobacterium strains that normally reside in the gastrointestinal tract, and two beneficial transient bacteria used as starter cultures in yogurt, provide benefit throughout the GI tract.
- Protective delivery system: To be effective, the living organisms in probiotics must survive exposure to stomach acids as they travel to the small intestine and colon. Innate-Biotic utilizes a proprietary technology that protect probiotics against destruction by harsh gastric conditions, resulting in significantly more live microorganisms delivered to the small intestine than unprotected probiotic formulations.
- Hypoallergenic ingredients: Probiotics used in Innate-Biotic are cultured on a proprietary vegetable-based growth media. Innate-Biotic is free of the following common allergens: milk/casein, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat/gluten, corn, yeast, and soybeans. Contains no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. Inulin, a dietary fiber derived from chicory root, is used as a base ingredient in place of corn or wheat-derived maltodextrin, often used in other probiotic supplements. Innate-Biotic can be used by children or adults as a daily supplement to support gastrointestinal function and provide probiotic support for people with intestinal dysbiosis, increased intestinal permeability (“leaky gut”), viral and bacterial gastroenteritis, diarrhea, constipation, food allergies, sinusitis, eczema, yeast vaginitis, vaginal dysbiosis, or recurrent urinary tract infections. Long-term probiotic supplementation is vital to the maintenance of normal intestinal microflora.
Suggested Use: As a dietary supplement take one capsule daily with food or as directed by a healthcare practitioner. If using medications known to adversely affect the intestinal microflora such as antibiotics, take Innate-Biotic several hours before or after their use. Age: 2+ to 60 (other products made to specifically target the under 2 or over 60)
This product was made in a GMP and ISO 9001:2008 registered facility.
Manufactured by Klaire Labs for Innate Chiropractic & Wellness.